Hello children. Summer is nearly up but there are a couple of sunny surprises left up our collective sleeves before the cold comes creeping in.
We've got a bunch of bands playing the last festival of the season, The Lost Weekend, at the beginning of March; Texas Tea have a very special release; and a bunch of folks have been squirreled away in studios working on something new, including Intercooler, who have been lying particularly low recently. They'll be working with legendary US producer Kramer, who has worked with Butthole Surfers, Jon Spencer and GG Allin, and will have a few shows coming up too. Watch this space.
For those not in the know, Lost Weekend has been moved to The Riverstage and Botanical Gardens, and is now an all ages event over two days.
For Lost Weekend tickets, head over here.
Brian Jonestown Massacre, Dinosaur Jr, Tumbleweed's only Queensland show, Gyroscope, Nashville Pussy, Deerhoof, The Drones, Dirty Projectors and heaps more over two days. What more could you possibly ask for?
Don't forget, all Plus One releases are available at the online store.
Oh you lucky bastards!
Texas Tea are very proud to announce their very limited edition, double A side vinyl release. Fire Sides is taken from an all-night campfire session recorded from midnight to 8am during Texas Tea’s original studio time for The Junkship Recordings.
This is an intimate and raw field recording featuring renowned local producer Jamie Trevaskis on the saw. Amongst the music, you can hear the fire crackling, night birds and the passing cars. This is a special experience in audio; listen as if you were there.
The flipside, Last Drinks, encompasses B-Sides and rarities from debut album TakeASip and other, more recent additions, including a duet recorded in Europe with The French Cowboy, Orville Brody, and a cover of the John & June sock hopper ‘I Got A Woman’.
There are only 150 copies of this absolute gem, and they are only available at live shows. Do not miss out!
• 12 March - Troubadour - Brisbane LP launch with Ben Salter, Silver City Highway
• 13 March - Bon Amici - Toowoomba LP launch with Ben Salter, Silver City Highway
• 23 Apr - Murder Ballads - Brisbane
THE SMOKESTACK ORCHESTRA
Smokestack are on the cusp of completing their second album, but have had to put things on hold for February as they have a short barrage of shows on the way, and each one is something special.
First up the lads will be opening for Maryland blues rockers Clutch, followed by a graveyard shift at the Troubadour following the Brisbane Sounds show at the Zoo (just so you know where to go to keep drinking), and then the inaugural Lost Weekend festival, which has been newly moved to the Brisbane Riverstage and Botanical Gardens.
On top of this, each show will feature a different line up!
• 19 Feb - The Zoo - Brisbane supporting CLUTCH w/ The Fumes
• 27 Feb - Troubadour - Brisbane 1am show
• 7 March - Lost Weekend festival - Brisbane
THE GIN CLUB
Gin Club's limited edition 7” single Rain is finally back from the printers and is available at the the Plus One site, and their new album is just around the corner. Watch this space for updates.
They'll also be at both Lost Weekend and the Brisbane Sounds show. Ben Salter will also be at the Texas Tea LP launches, doing his solo thing, and also at Ric's in April.
• 27 Feb - Brisbane Sounds Show, The Zoo - Brisbane
• 6 March - Lost Weekend Festival - Brisbane
• 12 March - Troubadour, Texas Tea LP launch (Ben Salter solo) - Brisbane w/ Silver City Highway
• 13 March - Bon Amici, Texas Tea LP launch (Ben Salter solo) - Toowoomba w/ Silver City Highway
THE BLACKWATER FEVER
Blackwater have almost completed their first of two albums planned for 2010, and they also have a pack of shows up their sleeves, including Lost Weekend and Murder Ballads #2.
26 Feb - Soundlounge - Gold Coast w/ Jackson Firebird
6 March - Lost Weekend - Brisbane
3 April - Great Noosa Campout - Doonan
23 Apr - Murder Ballads - Brisbane
20 May - MASC Live Room - Maroochydore w/ Black Mustang and Dirty York
ROZ PAPPALARDO & THE WAYWARD GENTLEMEN
Roz is going to be at Murder Ballads too, as well as playing a few shows with Mexico City.
• 18 Feb - Unplugged at the Basement, Gold Coast Arts Center - Gold Coast
• 24 Feb - Murder Ballads, Judith Wright Center - Brisbane
• 21 May - Bon Amici - Toowoomba w/ Mexico City
• 22 May - Ric's - Brisbane w/ Mexico City
• 23 May - MASC Live Room - Maroochydore w/ Mexico City
MT have lined up the support for Brody Dalle's Spinnerette at the Zoo in early March. Excellent way to ring in the beginning of Autumn, in our opinion.
• 4 March - The Zoo - Brisbane w/ Spinnerette
BM will be joining Victorians Dirty York for their Queensland shows, as well as the Caxton Street Festival (stay posted for details on that).
• 20 May - MASC Live Room - Maroochydore w/ Blackwater Fever and Dirty York
• 21 May - Rics - Brisbane w/ Dirty York
• 22 May - Bon Amici - Toowoomba w/ Dirty York
A couple of shows with Roz Pappalardo for Mexico City
• 21 May - Bon Amici - Toowoomba w/ Roz Pappalardo
• 22 May - Ric's - Brisbane w/ Roz Pappalardo
• 23 May - MASC Live Room - Maroochydore w/ Roz Pappalardo