After a short time off the road, Queensland’s indie folk favourites women in docs are back and brighter than ever with their fabulous new CD to be released in November 2013, an extensive supporting touring schedule and a surprise BIGSOUND Live Showcase.
women in docs are an independent, folk pop act (with a little bit of country), based in Queensland. They have been compared to the Indigo Girls, the Dixie Chicks and The Waifs.
With a reputation for stirring and humourous live performances and a vigorous touring schedule, women in docs have spent a career building a fiercely loyal following throughout Australia, as well as internationally in North America, Europe, New Zealand and China.
women in docs have played major festivals and showcases throughout the world, including SXSW in Austin, Texas; Folk Alliance in San Diego; Canadian Music Week, Toronto; Shanghai Spring Music Festival, Shangai; Vancouver Folk Festival, Vancouver; Bethlehem MusikFest, Pennsylvania and the International Folk Festival, Germany.
They enjoy ongoing radio airplay throughout Australia, with extensive airplay on college radio in America and Canada, as well as airplay in Shanghai and Germany. women in docs’ releases have reached the Top 10 of the Australian Independent Records Charts and the Top 20 of the Americana Folk/Roots Charts, USA.
A highly coveted support slot to the Indigo Girls on their recent Australian tour has cemented women in docs’ reputation as a world-class presence on the Australian and US folk scene.
Having recently joined forces with hard working independent Brisbane label, Plus One (Halfway, Black Water Fever, We All Want To), women in docs are back and here to stay. They hope to add to their already impressive independent music sales (over 40,000 albums) with the support of this label.
women in docs are also a surprise addition to 2013’s impressive BIGSOUND Live schedule where they’ll be performing on the same stage as regional favourites, Busby Marou, and songwriting luminary, Billy Bragg.
Excitement certainly reigns in women in docs’ land this week!
women in docs: CAROUSEL TOUR 2013
- Wednesday 11 September, BIGSOUND Live, Bakery Lane, 10.30 – 11pm, (off Anne St, behind Downes Shoes), Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, QLD. Tickets from $45 www.oztix.com.au
- Saturday 14 September, Neurum Creek Festival, via Woodford, QLD. www.neurumcreekfestival.com
- October 5 – 7, Wintermoon in October, Calen via Mackay, QLD http://www.trybooking.com/Booking/BookingEventSummary.aspx?eid=51661
- Thursday 24 October , The Royal Hotel, Herbeton, QLD, 8pm.
- October 25- 26, Tablelands Folk Festival, Yungaburra, QLD. women in docs performing Friday 25 Oct, 10pm, Pub Lounge / Saturday 26 Oct, 2.30pm Pub Lounge www.tablelandsfolkfestival.org
- Friday 1 November, Joe’s Waterhole, 85 Memorial Drive, Eumundi, QLD. $18 +BF, 8pm http://www.trybooking.com/53791
- Saturday 2 November, Grottofest, 16 Edmond St, Jay Lee Park, Marburg, QLD women in docs performing 8.30 – 9.15 PM www.grottofest.org
- Thursday 7 November, Thornbury Theatre, 859 High St, Thornbury, VIC. $20/15 www.oztix.com
- Saturday 9 November, Trinity Sessions. Church of the Trinity, 318 Goodwood Road, Clarence Park, Adelaide, SA. 8pm, $20/25 https://www.dramatix.com.au/events/1138
- Sunday 10 November, Brookfield Margate Winery, 1640 Channel Highway, Margate, TAS. 4pm, $15/10 http://www.trybooking.com/59121
- Saturday 16 November, Brisbane Powerhouse, Visy Theatre, 119 Lamington St, New Farm QLD. 7pm, $30/25 http://brisbanepowerhouse.org/events/2013/11/16/women-in-docs-album-launch/
- Thursday 21 November, The Newsagency, 375 Enmore Road, Marrickville, NSW. 7.30pm, $15/10 + BF http://www.stickytickets.com.au/13045
- Friday 22 November, Clarendon Guesthouse. 68 Lurline St, Katoomba NSW. 8pm, $18 + BF http://www.trybooking.com/53797 or http://clarendonguesthouse.com.au/enquiries.html
- Saturday 23 November, The Street Theatre, 15 Childers St, City West, ACT. 7 pm, $25/20 https://www.patronbase.com/_ST/Productions/WOID/Performances